Utility Assistance Available to Qualifying Residential Customers
The current pandemic has impacted many people in the community in different ways. In an effort to provide support to its residential customers during a time of need, BPUB has expanded its Project SHARE program to provide utility assistance to more residential customers.
The Brownsville Public Utilities Board is a municipally owned utility system. With that, BPUB feels a responsibility to be there to support the community and to give something back. Many residential customers have already been qualified for the program and received assistance, but there is still more funding available.
The SHARE Program provides assistance to BPUB residential customers who are:
- Elderly – 62 years or older
- Low Income
- Experiencing High Medical Expenses
- Experiencing Funeral Expenses
- Unemployed due to COVID-19
- Underemployed or furloughed due to COVID-19
- Arrears – Customer account cannot be past due more than two months
- Customers can only be assisted on bills that are past due
- $200 limit per client, per month. Other limitations may apply. Payment is subject to availability of funds.
Do you or someone you know need some assistance during this time? Contact Community Action Corporation of South Texas at 956-435-0379 or [email protected] or Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley at 956-541-0220.
In-person interviews have been waived due to social distancing precautions, but don’t forget to have your BPUB billing statement, proof of income for the last 30 days, and any supporting documents for unemployment or underemployment.
Need an application? Go here to learn more.