Winter Weather Tips
As temperatures drop this week, the Brownsville Public Utilities Board urges customers to follow these tips to help keep their homes and families safe during the cold weather.
Protect your water pipes:
- Run water at a steady trickle to help prevent your pipes from freezing.
- Open the cabinets under sinks in your kitchen and bathrooms to allow heated indoor air to circulate around the water pipes
- Cover any vents around your home’s foundation.
- Drain water sprinkler supply lines.
Staying safe around electricity:
- Keep the thermostat at the same temperature day and night. Your heating bill may be a little higher, but you could avoid a more costly repair job if your pipes freeze and burst.
- Never use a stove or oven to heat your home.
- Never operate a generator inside the home, including in the basement or garage.
- Don’t hook a generator up to the home’s wiring. The safest thing to do is to connect the equipment you want to power directly to the outlets on the generator.
- Generator parts become hot enough to burn skin. Do not touch mufflers or exhausts.
The BPUB is ready for winter weather conditions. We cannot, however, guarantee that it will not have service interruptions for any reason, including those created by third parties or other electricity providers.
To report a service outage, please visit http://assist.brownsville-pub.com