BPUB Resumes Normal Billing Practices
BROWNSVILLE, TX – The Brownsville Public Utilities Board (BPUB) returned to normal billing practices on April 13. This means that the Feb. 15, 2021, suspension of service disconnections to electric, water and wastewater residential and commercial customers is no longer in effect.
This change mirrors a similar decision by the Public Utilities Commission of Texas (PUCT) to end the moratorium on electricity disconnects. While PUCT doesn’t regulate BPUB, BPUB does look to the PUCT for guidance.
Customers with unpaid balances should pay their balance in full to avoid disconnections or contact BPUB’s Customer Service Department to make payment arrangements. Monthly charges are still subject to normal late fees and penalties.
BPUB is encouraging the community to practice social distancing by making account inquiries or payment arrangements online or by phone to help flatten the curve of COVID-19. For customers in need of assistance paying their bills, BPUB’s expanded Project SHARE is available for qualifying customers.
The SHARE program is available to any BPUB residential customer who can demonstrate at least one of the following requirements:
- Elderly (62 years or older)
- Low income
- Experiencing high medical expenses
- Experiencing funeral expenses
- Unemployment due to COVID-19 pandemic
- Underemployment (loss of income) due to COVID-19 pandemic
- Furloughed employment due to COVID-19 pandemic
- Arrears – Customer account cannot be past due more than two months
- Bill due date – Customers can only be assisted on bills that are past due
- $200 limit per client, per month. Other limitations may apply.
- Payment subject to availability of funds.
The Community Action Corporation of South Texas (CACOST) and Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley (CCRGV) will qualify customers on behalf of BPUB. Customers interested in applying for Project SHARE will need to schedule an appointment by calling CACOST at 956-435-0379 or CCRGV at 956-541-0220.
Customers will be required to provide a copy of the BPUB billing statement, proof of income for the last 30 days and any supporting documents for unemployment or underemployment. To abide by social distancing guidelines, the requirement of an in-person interview has been waived.
While BPUB offices are closed to visitors, there are still numerous ways to make payments, including mailing a check, paying by phone and making an online payment.
- Online – Just go to BPUB’s website, www.brownsville-pub.com/, for easy online access.
- Phone – Dial 956-983-6121 and follow the menu options to pay your bill. This service is available 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
- Drop Box – While the Administration Building lobby will be closed, customers can still utilize the drop box at 1425 Robinhood Drive to leave payments.
- U.S. Mail – Payments may be mailed to P.O. Box 660566; Dallas, TX 75266-0566
- Autopay – Set it and forget it. This option allows customers to set up automatic payments each month through a credit card or checking account.
- Phone – Customer Service agents will still be available to handle payment arrangements by phone at 956-983-6121.
- Internet – Customers don’t even need to speak to a Customer Service agent to utilize the payment arrangement feature on the BPUB website.
Customers are encouraged to save the BPUB web app to their phones. It is accessible at https://assist.brownsville-pub.com and can be saved to the desktop of any phone or mobile device. It’s a one-stop portal to report any type of service issue or pay a bill.
For more information, customers can call 956-983-6121 from 7:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday or visit the website at www.brownsville-pub.com.
Leave a Comment