BPUB Prepares for Cold Weather Event
BROWNSVILLE, TEXAS – As a strong cold front is already hitting other parts of Texas and nears the Rio Grande Valley, the Brownsville Public Utilities Board (BPUB) is preparing in anticipation of the demands this weather will have on the city’s infrastructure.
Some of the preparations that BPUB crews are conducting include:
- Ensuring all vehicles and equipment are fueled and/or charged
- Assigning additional standby personnel
- Deploying tree trimmers to areas with a history of issues
- Checking insulation on all lines at water plants
- Reviewing all emergency procedures
While forecasts for BPUB’s service area currently don’t have temperatures dipping below freezing, BPUB encourages customers to take precautions for the cold weather. BPUB will keep customers up to date on any changes.
BPUB customers are also encouraged to prepare for the cold weather. Here are some tips:
- Protect faucets, outdoor pipes and exposed pipes in unheated areas by wrapping them with rags, newspaper, trash bags or plastic foam.
- Make sure you have a manual can opener, batteries and flashlight in case of an outage.
- Never operate a generator inside a home or enclosed space, such as a garage.
BPUB will keep customers up to date on any service interruptions or recommendations during this cold weather event. If customers have any questions, they can call 956-983-6121. To report an outage, customers should call 956-983-6300 or go to https://assist.brownsville-pub.com.