Expert Spotlight: Joe Del Rio

From treating injured soldiers in the Army to treating various sources of water for Brownsville residents, BPUB Foreman Joe Del Rio has dedicated his lifelong journey to serving others. Del Rio was born and raised in Port Isabel, and like most from here, he spent a lot of time enjoying the beach and fishing with his friends. He attended Port Isabel High School and later graduated from Texas Southmost College. Soon after, he.. Read More

Resaca Boulevard Resaca Ecosystem Restoration Gets Underway

Passersby might have noticed that the area along the Resaca Boulevard Resaca is starting to look a bit different. That area is undergoing an ecosystem restoration that began in August 2018. The work is being funded by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) and the Brownsville Public Utilities Board (BPUB), with USACE covering 65 percent of the approximately $1 million project and BPUB covering the other 35 percent.

Shedding Light: Choosing the right bulb for your home

Remember years ago when you would go to the hardware store or grocery store to shop for light bulbs? Aside from a few size and watt differences, they all pretty much looked and functioned the same way. Those days are long gone. Go shopping for light bulbs today and you will be confronted with a slew of different styles, watts, colors and types. It can be easy to get overwhelmed with all the.. Read More

The Importance of Public Power

October is a time when public power is given some recognition and celebrated. The American Public Power Association (APPA) celebrates Public Power Week in the first full week of October, but the Brownsville Public Utilities Board (BPUB) extends that week to a full month. With public power or municipally owned utilities (MOUs) being recognized this month, you might wonder what public power is and why it’s so important.

Community Gets Inside Look at BPUB Electrical System

Many eager Brownsville residents came to meet at the BPUB Administration Building on Oct. 26 for the start of this year’s community tour of the electrical system. It was a full bus to get an inside look at how the Brownsville Public Utilities Board delivers electricity to its customers.